In this post, we present a very opinionated list of 10 RecSys papers everyone should read. The first five papers are the top-5 most rated papers according to the ACM digital library (out of a list of 925 papers published). These five papers account for ~ 12% of all the RecSys conference papers citations!
- Performance of recommender algorithms on top-n recommendation tasks — 2010, by Paolo Cremonesi, Yehuda Koren, Roberto Turrin
- Trust-aware recommender systems — 2007, by Paolo Massa, Paolo Avesani
- A matrix factorization technique with trust propagation for recommendation in social networks — 2010, by Mohsen Jamali, Martin Ester
- Multiverse recommendation: n-dimensional tensor factorization for context-aware collaborative filtering — 2010, by Alexandros Karatzoglou, Xavier Amatriain, Linas Baltrunas, Nuria Oliver
- Hidden factors and hidden topics: understanding rating dimensions with review text — 2013, by Julian McAuley, Jure Leskovec
Since 2009, the best contributions to the annual ACM RecSys Conference were honored with awards, and our next top-5 list are the RecSys best-paper-awards winners from the last five years. You can see the full list of award winners papers in our website
- Modeling the Assimilation-Contrast Effects in Online Product Rating Systems: Debiasing and Recommendations — 2017, by X. Zhang, J. Zhao, J.C.S. Lui
- Local Item-Item Models for Top-N Recommendation — 2016, by E. Christakopoulou and G. Karypis
- Context-Aware Event Recommendation in Event-based Social Networks — 2015, by A. Macedo, L. Marinho and R. Santos
- Beyond Clicks: Dwell Time for Personalization — 2014, by X. Yi, L. Hong, E. Zhong, N. Nan Liu and S. Rajan
- A Fast Parallel SGD for Matrix Factorization in Shared Memory Systems — 2013, by Y. Zhuang, W. Chin, Y. Juan and C. Lin (Best Paper)
The 12th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems will take place in Vancouver, Canada, 2nd-7th October 2018 — if you want to submit your work or attend the conference, please check our website, where we have recently published our call for contributions and important dates.